This is an amazing recipe for Brisket Chilli that's a real crowd pleaser! The finished result is just spectacular!! You HAVE to try this!!!
Ingredients for the Brisket
Ingredients for the Chilli gravy
1. Bring your stock pot to a medium temperature with a little oil and butter. Add the thyme.
2. Add the celery, onion and green pepper and gently soften for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and habanero chilli and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle, pasilla, ancho and guajillo powders and stir thoroughly.
5. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, anchovy paste, Worcester sauce, cinnamon stick, star anise and both stocks pots.
6. Stir through then add about a pint of water until you reach the right consistency. You want it a little watery.
7. Add the Mexican oregano and bay leaf.
8. Simmer for at least 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
9. Season your chilli with salt and pepper liberally. Make sure you add plenty of black pepper here as that is going to lift the flavour. Stir and taste. You might find you want to sweeten the dish. If so add a little sugar.
10. If you need more heat add another teaspoon of pasilla chilli powder.
11. If the consistency of the chilli is too thick, add a little water. Add the masa harina.
12. Add the chocolate/cocoa, stir and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
13. Now the killer finish... Squeeze fresh lime juice and stir, do this half a lime at a time, tasting after each addition. When you get it right the whole chilli will just lift to another level.
14. Add the pulled brisket into the sauce and stir.
14. Serve with soured cream on the side and chunks of hot baguette.